Super nutritous vegan stew, really quick and easy to prepare. I love preparing it before yoga, leaving it to cook while I bliss out, and come back feeling wonderful to already cooked meal!
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Serves: four to five
I love garlic bread (who doesn’t) so I serve all my soups with garlic bread!
- 2 T frying oil (I used rice bran)
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced (optional, or add any other veges you have in the fridge!)
- ¾ cup quinoa (I used tricolour)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups boiling water
- ½ t each garam masala, turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander seeds
- ¼ t dried thyme
- ⅛ t ground cardamom
- 1 vegetable stock cube (I used Massel)
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded kale or silverbeet (2–3 leaves) – I used curly kale
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the carrots and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except kale/silverbeet.
- Simmer with the lid off over low heat for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add the kale during the last minute of cooking.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.