Deliciously gluten-free and high-protein vegan and vegetarian big breakfast or brunch recipe. Start your day the way it’s meant to be! This guy boasts creamy avocado, grilled tomato, sautéed mushrooms and homemade baked beans, all stacked on top of a hearty lentil patty! This is the PERFECT post-gym or weekend vegan big breakfast recipe. The avocado, homemade baked beans and lentil patty give your body much-needed pure, plant-based protein. This will keep you full all morning and replenish your body protein after a hard workout or a sweaty dynamic yoga class. Avocado also has essential fatty acids and, surprisingly, is full of fibre and water! The grilled tomato in this vegan big breakfast recipe adds to your daily dose of vitamin C. And mushrooms contain B vitamins, selenium and potassium! What a recipe!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes, plus another 10 minutes for the baked beans
I like to cook all pre-made food such as patties/falafels/schnitzels/burgers etc. in my sandwich press as it takes way less time and doesn’t require cleaning (if you put them in between a piece of baking paper)! Pop them in before you start preparation and they’ll be cooked by the time you’re done!
Check out my other vegan dessert recipes, gluten-free vegan recipes and quick & easy vegan recipes. I also have two downloadable vegan cookbooks – my Vegan Main Meals Cookbook and my Vegan Thai Cookbook. ALL of the money from the sale of the Thai cookbook goes to Baan Unrak Thai Animal Sanctuary – a sanctuary in northern Thailand which is home to around 30 beautiful adoptable Thai dogs, and runs the only vet clinic in the area, providing purely donation-based care.
- 2 gluten free lentil patties (I used Syndian)
- 1½ T frying oil (I used rice bran)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 button mushrooms, cut in half then sliced
- ½ t dried rosemary
- ¼ t dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ t mixed herbs
- 4 T grated Biocheese (or other vegan cheese)
- 1 recipe Homemade Baked Beans
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Place lentil patties in sandwich press or cook per directions.
- Grab 2 small saucepans and pour ½ T oil into one and 1 T into the other.
- In one, place the tomatoes face down. Cook over high heat.
- In the other, add the mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until browned; about 2 minutes.
- Flip the tomatoes and sprinkle with mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place a lentil pattie on each plate.
- Top each pattie with vegan cheese, baked beans and mushrooms.
- Add a tomato, and half of the avocado, to each plate.