Vegan homemade baked beans recipe – the perfect, simple, quick and easy breakfast, side dish or snack. This guy is packed full of protein, is seriously tasty and takes just 5 minutes to prepare! Canned baked beans have nothing on this guy! Seriously, I HATE canned baked beans, but I LOVE this vegan homemade baked beans recipe. I hope that once you try this recipe you’ll never buy canned baked beans again! One of the best parts about this recipe is that it’s sugar-free. I honestly don’t know why so many people add sugar to their homemade baked beans, or why canned baked beans are so high in sugar. It’s so gross!
This recipe contains 18g of protein, 9g per serving. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight – so for a 55kg person that’s 44g of protein per day. If you serve this with my Tofu Scramble recipe that gives you a total of 58g of protein per recipe, 29g per serve!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
This recipe doesn’t need much more salt because of the stock cube. If you’re not a salty food fan, only use half a cube.
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T frying oil (I used rice bran)
- 1 400g can red kidney beans or borlotti beans
- ½ 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 t mixed herbs
- ½ t oregano
- ¼ t each rosemary and thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil in a pot over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer on medium-low heat until the liquid reduces to a thick saucy consistency; about 5 minutes.
- Serve the beans on their own, with toast or accompanying other meals such as Tofu Scramble with Homemade Baked Beans or Vege Scramble with Sausages.