Vegan scrambled tofu with homemade baked beans recipe – the healthy and vegan take on your Aussie/British classic; scrambled eggs and baked beans. Still super delicious, still super filling and high in protein, but without the sugar, cholesterol or animal cruelty! This recipe is ideal for weekend brunches, or for those gym-junkies out there that need heaps of protein. I promise even non-vegans will love this recipe. You just might have to hide the fact that it’s actually made from tofu until after they’ve eaten it! The beans, tofu and wholegrain toast make this recipe super high in protein – coming in at 29 grams of protein per serving! And it doesn’t even take long to prepare! Go on, give it a whirl!
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes, plus another 10 minutes for the baked beans
- 2 T frying oil (I used rice bran)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g firm tofu, crumbled until it resembles scrambled eggs
- 3 T non-dairy milk
- 1 t each turmeric and mixed herbs
- ½ t each smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
- Olive oil for drizzling (about ½ T)
- 1 recipe Homemade Baked Beans
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil in a pan over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the crumbled tofu, milk, herbs and spices and stir until heated through and the milk has slightly evaporated.
- Drizzle the olive oil on the toast and top with the scramble.
- Place the baked beans on the side and garnish the plate with parsley.