Half the guilt, double the flavour refined sugar-free, vegan wholemeal blueberry pancakes! I bet you think these vegan wholemeal blueberry pancakes are boring don’t you! Especially because they are sugar free! But I promise you, these vegan wholemeal blueberry pancakes are FAR FROM boring! They are absolutely delicious. These vegan wholemeal blueberry pancakes are light and fluffy because we curdle our soy milk with apple cider vinegar. They are naturally sweetened with agave syrup and blueberries. And they puff up to a delicious big pancake! YUM!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Total time: 23 minutes
Serves: 2, makes 5 pancakes
I served these pancakes with banana, more blueberries and maple syrup but feel free to use whatever toppings you’d like!
Check out my other vegan dessert recipes, gluten-free vegan recipes and quick & easy vegan recipes. I also have two downloadable vegan cookbooks – my Vegan Main Meals Cookbook and my Vegan Thai Cookbook. ALL of the money from the sale of the Thai cookbook goes to Baan Unrak Thai Animal Sanctuary – a sanctuary in northern Thailand which is home to around 30 beautiful adoptable Thai dogs, and runs the only vet clinic in the area, providing purely donation-based care.
- 1¼ cups non-dairy milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1¼ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 t baking powder
- ¼ t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- 1 T agave nectar*
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2½ T frying oil (I used rice bran)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (½ for decorating – optional)
- 2 T pure maple syrup/rice bran syrup/agave nectar*
- ½ banana, sliced (for decorating – optional)
*If you are avoiding fructose, replace the agave nectar/maple syrup with rice bran syrup!
- Add the vinegar or lemon juice to the milk in a bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk the agave and vanilla extract into the milk mixture until slightly frothy.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Transfer mixture to a jug (for easy pouring).
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add a little oil.
- Pour in batter to centre of frying pan (amount depends on the desired pancake size).
- Drop 10 frozen blueberries into each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form and start to pop, and the edges start to dry (about 2.5 minutes), then flip.
- Cook on the other side until browned (about 1 minute).
- Serve with remaining blueberries, banana and syrup!