Half the guilt, double the flavour wholemeal, sugar-free, vegan blueberry pancakes!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
Total time: 23 minutes
Serves: 2, makes 5 pancakes
I served these pancakes with banana, more blueberries and maple syrup but feel free to use whatever toppings you’d like!
- 1¼ cups non-dairy milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1¼ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 t baking powder
- ¼ t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2½ T frying oil (I used rice bran)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (½ for decorating – optional)
- 2 T pure maple syrup/rice bran syrup/agave nectar
- ½ banana, sliced (for decorating – optional)
- Add the vinegar or lemon juice to the milk in a bowl and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk the agave and vanilla extract into the milk mixture until slightly frothy.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Transfer mixture to a jug (for easy pouring).
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add a little oil.
- Pour in batter to centre of frying pan (amount depends on the desired pancake size).
- Drop 10 frozen blueberries into each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form and start to pop, and the edges start to dry (about 2.5 minutes), then flip.
- Cook on the other side until browned (about 1 minute).
- Serve with remaining blueberries, banana and syrup!